Google

Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Use Bloglines to Stay in the Loop

How many web sites do you visit each day? Five, ten, twenty? Imagine how much simpler it would be if you could visit just ONE site, and receive the content from all the rest right there.

Now visit Bloglines, and you're all set.


Bloglines is a web-based news aggregator, which funnels all of your favorite feeds into one place via a technology ca
lled Really Simple Syndication (RSS). You can tell if a site uses RSS if you see any of these images:


Even if you're not a heavy net surfer, Bloglines makes it much easier to digest a variety of news sources in a very short amount of time. Everyone should be in-the-know about a little bit o' everything, and Bloglines helps make that happen.

Before I learned about Bloglines, I mindlessly wandered around the web, desperately trying to find interesting sites to look at and new things to keep my mind occupied with. Now, with new sites popping up each day, Bloglines introduces me to the coolest things the net has happening.

Here's what the site looks like. Imagine it as an email client for your web sites. Your sites are listed in the left column. When you click on a site link, the site's content pops up in the right column. Many sites come with both full stories and images, others provide a headline and brief, and all supply a link. You subscribe to the news feeds you want to read, and the rest is history.


I would highly suggest a few sites, which are ideal Bloglines subscriptions: BoingBoing, Lifehacker, and of course, PopCult.

If you are further interested in setting up a Bloglines account, I would be happy to help. I can even export my news feeds to your new account so that you have a place to start. From there, you can delete sites I am reading and add your own.

There are many other RSS readers available online as well; I just happen to prefer Bloglines.

Don't let your internet experience be wasted! Try out Bloglines and see just how much more enjoyable your surfing can be!


Don't like my explanation? Need further information? Check out Bloglines on Wikipedia.

No comments: